Online book borrowing connects readers to new books

Jastasha Hudson, Echo reporter

There’s this nice feeling of getting lost in a book- a feeling of deja vu or basking in the eternal opportunity of wonder and imagination. It doesn’t take much to enjoy reading or becoming a reader, all that is needed is a book.  

There are many ways one can read, either it is print books or digital. Though as the times continue to change, digital has become more accessible. There are multiple apps that allow you to read without hassle- for example Axis 360. 

Axis 360 is a free app that provides access to popular and bestselling eBooks and eAudiobooks. The collection includes thousands of titles for adults, teens, and children. 

With this app, you are able to  check out 5 titles one at a time.  An Axis 360 reader is also capable of bookmarking certain books with the Wish List feature that lets you bookmark titles you’d like to read or listen to later.  Axis 360 even serves as a place where you can store your reading or listening history!  

If students want to add a title that is unavailable on the app, they must contact their schools librarians, [email protected] or [email protected].  However, there are many, many available titles on the app for readers to enjoy.  The eRead Illinois ebook collection in Baker and Taylor’s Axis 360 platform includes bestsellers, popular fiction and non-fiction. 

With Axis 360, titles are automatically returned at the end of the loan period, and there are no late fees. The app works on iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire devices. 

“The app is also available for school use,” explains Mrs. Sala, IMC specialist.  There are a few special steps when using the app.  The step by step directions are as follows:

TO LOGIN TO AXIS 360 – 

1. To login one must go to Self Service on the school website and Download Axis 360. 
  2. Then find Search for My Library, type in Bremen High School District 228 and click Search. 
  3. On the next screen, click on the words Bremen High School District 228 IL, United States of America. 
  4. On the next screen, to the right of where it says Library ID*, tap right under the B in Bremen High School District 228. That’s where you will type D228 plus your student ID number, and then click Login (the green bar). For example, it could look like: D22812345 for a student. (For staff, it’s D228 plus first initial and last name. It could look like: D228 Johnson) It will ask you to complete registration with a username and your school email address 

TO CHECK OUT CONTENT FROM AXIS 360 –

1. To check out content, you must Tap a cover to borrow a title or place a hold. Available titles will display CHECKOUT. 
  2. Find the title you wish to check out and then tap the CHECKOUT button. Your title will immediately begin to download and will open automatically inside the Axis 360 app. The loan period is 2 weeks. 

TO RENEW A BOOK FROM AXIS 360 –

1. It is also possible to renew the book after its loan period ends. You may renew it through the Axis 360 mobile app or website three days before the loan period ends. 
  2. Locate the title to be renewed and click on MORE OPTIONS and then RENEW. The new expiration date will appear in the item’s detail page. 
  3. If you would like to put a hold on the book you must find the title you wish to reserve and tap the PLACE ON HOLD button and confirm. You will be notified by email when the title is available to check out. Be sure to read the instructions given in the email. 
  4. Go to the link provided in the email and proceed to check out the item. You have 72 hours to check out your hold before it expires and is given to the next patron on the holds list.