Career profile: High School Teacher

Omar Ortiz, for the Echo

Imagine reentering that same door you walked out of 4 years ago once graduated from there in a mission to inspire; you used to hate that place so much until during the 4 year period of time, some type of event came across your eyes and made you realize destiny had brought you the gift of hope to the ones beginning in life to simply inspire. (Our upcoming ‘Keepers of the Light’) A high school teacher doesn’t seem like one of the best grading levels to teach, due to the chances of starting off with the 9th graders. Most of the time, our 9th graders might bring trouble here and there, but after all, just like plants, with time we begin to mature. I think that this profession will fit me because here in Illinois, male representation is needed in the teaching field, Spanish is one of my gifts, and I have already taught religious education by myself in my church. Three of the many reasons why I think becoming a high school teacher would be considered my passion are that I want to be that support to the needs of  parents, I want to continue the strong legacy of each of my teachers, and I’m looking forward to inspiring students. 

At a very young age, I remember wanting to always support the needs of parents in Spanish-English translation, and whenever I saw the opportunity to, I always asked the people if they would’ve liked for me to help out translate in public places I went to. As the oldest child of my parents, I’ve always been on everything watching out whenever my mom or dad needed help on their roles as parents. I’ve been the role model to my siblings growing up with helping out in the house with both parents. It’s four of us that my mom gave birth to; three boys first, and then the younger one as a girl was born. Grammar has been my biggest passion and my siblings have hated me for that every time I fix their way of speaking, spelling, & reading. I always notice when they miss a word while reading or they translate it to something else based on how they’re used to saying it. In the end, they always have been coming up to me asking me if a certain word is spelled correctly in a text message, school writing paper, etc. I don’t give all the credit to myself because they’ve decided for themselves to follow my footsteps (or part of them), but one thing for sure is that they have improved a lot over the years. They’re Spanish speaking, writing, & reading have become very solid; they’re English keeps on improving with most of their days in school since they’ve been moved to regular (English-Speaking) classes. Even though my dad has always been choosing me to take on trips for things that he needs to get done going through the English, he still takes my brothers to treat us as equals since he loves all four of us the same way, but he still prefers deeply inside to take me with more confidence/trust due to my passion to helping him out.

Each of my teachers from my four years of my high school career, taught my classmates and I many different lessons in life and school hacks/tricks which motivates me to continue the strong legacy each of these great people had inherited to me. I took very great notes in each one of these teachers, and I have them saved in my “Secrets of School” binder collection. My hatred for reading became love and inspiration thanks to my freshman English teacher who showed me the world of reading a book of your likes, which led me to develop even more my writing skills to a point I wish I could’ve started even earlier. I don’t have anything negative towards my English teachers from all my four years with zero regrets in having them as a teacher. All of my teachers had a very unique way of teaching class in a way they caught our attention fast. It makes me almost be like the Romans back in the day who copied, borrowed, and stole from their surroundings. I just want to be a younger version in the eyes of the upcoming generations when I get a place to teach in a classroom to inspire. Aging in my school I graduated from is my dream, seeing my future students get into adult life and come back to see me or to take a foot into the world of a teacher. As one can see, my teachers have been an inspiration in my high school career to aim for a high school teacher as my future “major” career.

Once I get into the career, my biggest moment to wait for many times is to be able to inspire students with my capabilities that will continue to develop over time. Personally, I’ve been working as an assistant teacher at my parish helping the 8th grade confirmation teacher teach her students. Most of the time, she had had trouble handling some students in the previous years who wouldn’t demonstrate the value of “respect” to her or the classmates. I then noticed that once I stepped foot in there as an assistant teacher (already received the Eucharist and been confirmed), the value of respect grew amongst the students because they saw— for the first time—someone super close to their age who could understand their time period who can get into them to learn and simply admire the greatness of male representation in the room of a young leader. I dress formally for these young students that I teach with the teacher so that they can see that I’m serious about the position (even though it’s free), but that’s where I’m learning from and getting all the experience to manage to lead a classroom(s) one day, and maybe—just maybe—be someone’s hero one day (just how I have heroes who are adults) When my mom babysits her friends’ children, I get to play a role in their education; their mom’s send them with electronics to entertain themselves with, but I (without force) get their full attention with activities to do that are healthy for their development. I simply do ”it” because it calls me; I’m not sure exactly how to call that “it” yet, but I love the fact this “it” pushes me to do what I do, seeing the light in each young child who continues to grow, gaining knowledge from home and it’s society to later on, be cultivated to be placed as successful. As one can see, I am inspired by the career of being a high school bilingual teacher who can help form a society into a healthy one with the help of many colleagues. 

In conclusion, I want to be that support to the needs of the Spanish speaking parents.  I want to use a lot of the teaching skills that I learned from my high school teachers to teach my students because of how impactful they were to me. Last but not least, I’m looking forward to amaze my future students with my capabilities that will be shown to them. A high school teacher doesn’t seem like one of the best grading levels to teach, due to the chances of starting off with the 9th graders, but after all, just like plants, with time we begin to mature. I think that this profession will fit me because here in Illinois, male representation is needed in the teaching field, Spanish is one of my gifts, and I have already taught religious education by myself in my church. Starting my teacher career, from day one and beyond, my future students/parents will be shown the power of unity, support, and spirit!